Welcome to the Tri-Lakes Humane Society in Saranac Lake, NY
The Tri-Lakes Humane Society is located in Saranac Lake, NY, in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains.
Our mission is simple: to provide shelter to all stray and unwanted companion and domestic animals and to find them a loving home as soon as possible, to save little lives, and to speak for those who cannot.
As a non-profit, no kill shelter, we work to educate the public about proper animal care and provide vouchers anyone who would not otherwise be able to afford to Spay/Neuter their pets.
We are a cornerstone institution serving the communities of Saranac Lake, Tupper Lake, and Lake Placid since 1942. Through outreach and community service, we educate the people of our communities about proper animal care, spaying and neutering, providing adequate outdoor housing and food and water, as well as veterinarian care. We are a resource for the many state and local laws, and ordinances, that every pet owner must know and abide by.
It all started with little lives...
In 1942 a group of scrappy and caring teenagers formed what would become the Tri-Lakes Humane Society. Their primary concern continues to feed our purpose: the welfare of unwanted and stray animals in our communities. Their first real “animal shelter” was a simple doghouse surrounded by chicken wire, but most of the teens took rescued animals to their homes to care for them until a new home could be found. They called themselves the Adirondack Animal Welfare Society – and they used a bicycle with a special cart attached to it to transport animals to the local vet’s office for treatment.
Thirty years after the founding of the Adirondack Animal Welfare Society, we moved to Woodruff Street in Saranac Lake, where paperwork was completed, phone calls and messages recorded, and donations received. During that year, the shelter was renamed "Tri-Lakes Humane Society" and a motto was created..."We speak for those who cannot." In 1975, with the help of Henry Uihlein and many generous donations, the shelter was able to purchase a building at 11 Mills Avenue in Saranac Lake and renovate the floors to become our first, real shelter building for animals. In 1994, the Tri-Lakes Humane Society received 501(c)3 Non-Profit Incorporated Organization status.
In 1998 a generous donor presented us with a momentous gift: a new property and building on George LaPan Highway. With the help of financial support made by other wonderful donors, we were able to begin renovations of the old restaurant building, transforming it into a specially designed animal shelter. In December 2000, we began moving dogs and cats from one shelter building to the the other with the help of many volunteers. The last group of cats was settled in during the first week of January 2001. In this new facility we have more space inside and out, with enough property have two outdoor fenced dog yards and a dog walking trail in the woods. An enclosed outdoor cat porch was added to our building in 2009 to provide our shelter cats with access to fresh air, warm sunshine, and a place to play and climb around.
The Tri-Lakes Humane Society Staff are able to care for the 300-400 animals that come through the doors of our facility each year thanks to having this great building and property.