Spay/Neuter Assistance Program
Interested in spaying/neutering your dog, cat or rabbit? We can help!
We know you want to keep your pet happy and healthy. Having your cat or dog spayed or neutered ("fixed") is a great way to ensure your pet’s health and well-being over time and prevent unwanted litters. Spay/Neuter also reduces the number of animals entering shelters each year.
Our Spay/Neuter Program has grown from its humble beginnings. It was initially established to alter shelter animals and transformed into a vital community program in 2010. The program offers vouchers to low-income residents in the Tri-Lakes region. These vouchers offset the cost of the procedure at participating veterinary offices and mobile clinics in the area. With the help of this program, we are seeing a decline in the number of stray and unwanted animals in the Tri-Lakes community. This program is possible thanks to the donations of our generous supporters.
Benefits of Spaying or Neutering your Pet
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the benefits of spay and neuter include:
- Prevention of reproductive cancers and infections.
- A reduction in behavioral issues and marking behavior. Neutered male dogs are less likely to develop aggressive behaviors when neutered at a young age.
- No more heat cycles for spayed females and no desire to roam in search of a mate for neutered males.
- Elimination of unwanted litters, which means fewer homeless cats and dogs in shelters, homeless or left to live outdoors.
In order to qualify for a voucher you must live within one of the towns that we provide shelter services for and be able to prove a low income household status or receive public assistance:
- Saranac Lake
- Tupper Lake
- Paul Smiths
- Lake Placid
- Long Lake
If you do not live in our shelter service area, we may be able to help you find spay/neuter assistance near where you live.
- Female Dog - $100 voucher
- Male Dog - $80 voucher
- Female Cat or Rabbit - $75 voucher
- Male Cat or Rabbit - $60 voucher
Each voucher is like a "coupon" that you bring to the veterinarian's office to receive a discount off your pet's spay/neuter surgery.
Contact our office for more information or to request a voucher: 518-891-0017, or Email email@example.com