Spay/Neuter Assistance Program
Interested in spaying/neutering your dog, cat or rabbit? We can help!
We know you want to keep your pet happy and healthy. Having your cat or dog spayed or neutered, also known as “fixed,” is a great way to ensure your pet’s health and well-being over time, and prevent unwanted breeding and litters of puppies or kittens in your home. It has also proven to reduce pet homelessness and the amount of animals that enter shelters each year.
In 2010, our Humane Society established a Spay/Neuter Fund and Assistance Program in order to provide financial aid vouchers to low income pet owners who need help affording the cost of having their animals spayed or neutered at local veterinary clinics/hospitals. This fund is possible because of our generous donors who make financial contributions.
Benefits of Spaying or Neutering your Pet
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the benefits of spay and neuter include:
- Prevention of testicular cancer in males, and uterine infections and breast cancer in females.
- A reduction in fighting and the elimination of marking. Neutered male dogs are less likely to develop aggression problems, if neutered when young, or mark their territory.
- No more heat cycles for spayed females, and no urge for neutered males to roam to find a female in heat.
- Elimination of unwanted litters, which means fewer homeless cats and dogs in shelters, homeless or left to live outdoors.
In order to qualify for a voucher you must live within one of the towns that we provide shelter services for and be able to prove a low income status:
- Saranac Lake
- Tupper Lake
- Paul Smiths
- Lake Placid
- Long Lake
If you do not live in our shelter service area we may be able to help you find spay/neuter assistance near where you live.
- Female Dog - $75 voucher
- Male Dog - $50 voucher
- Female Cat or Rabbit - $50 voucher
- Male Cat or Rabbit - $35 voucher
Each voucher is like a "coupon" that you bring to the veterinarian's office to receive a discount off your pet's spay/neuter surgery.
Contact our office for more information or to request a voucher: 518-891-0017, or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up for Our Newsletter
Sign up for updates and promotions!