Learn about adopting a pet from the Tri-Lakes Humane Society
The Tri-Lakes Humane Society, Inc. is a Registered Shelter/Pet Rescue Organization under New York State Department of Agriculture Markets Law Section 408: Shelter/Rescue Registration Number: RR036
- An approved Adoption Application is required to adopt an animal from our Humane Society. You may submit a completed application via email, postal mail or in person at our office.
- You must be 21 years of age or older to adopt a pet. All applicants under 21 must have a parent/guardian sign the contract with them. We reserve the right to ask for a photo identification with proof of age and address. Exceptions to this policy may be considered by the Shelter Manager and Adoption Committee.
- If you rent, we must have your landlord’s permission for you to adopt, no exceptions. Please be prepared to provide us with your landlord's phone number, or provide a copy of your rental agreement/lease.
- If you live at home or with family, we must speak to your parents or family members, and receive permission for you to adopt. If your parents or family rents their residence, we must speak to the landlord and have their permission prior adoption.
- If you own your home in a mobile home park, we must speak to the park owner and have their permission before adoption. Please be prepared to provide us with the park owner's phone number.
- We will not release any animal without speaking to a landlord or parent/family member first to guarantee that the animal will be allowed at the residence.
- If you are a college student who will be going home at the end of the school semester, we must have your parent’s permission for you to adopt. Be prepared to provide us with a name and phone number where we can reach them.
- We do not allow persons who have turned in animals to the shelter to adopt from our shelter. Animals that are found and turned in as strays do not fall under this policy. Other exceptions may be made by our Shelter Manager and Adoption Committee.
- We require a Veterinary Reference for all current and previously owned pets in the last 5 years. We will contact your Veterinarian(s) to make sure your animals have been kept up to date on vaccinations, have had regular Veterinary care and have been spayed/neutered. Our Humane Society encourages pet owners to spay/neuter dogs and cats to prevent unwanted breeding and litters of animals. We retain the right to deny an adoption if animals in the home are not spayed/neutered yet. We will provide financial assistance vouchers to help pet owners afford the cost of the surgery. Our Adoption Committee will meet to review applications that list purebred dogs or cats that are not spayed/neutered which the owner plans to use for breeding. We will require proof of purebred registration, including AKC or other recognized registration paperwork.
- All TLHS animals must be spayed/neutered prior to adoption, unless the surgery is unable to be completed until a later date due to an animal's health or age (we will collect a $35 deposit and provide an assistance voucher towards the cost of the future surgery). We schedule spay/neuter surgeries with our cooperating veterinarians at least once or twice a month. Most animals are available to go home within 2 days after they have recovered from their surgeries.
- All dogs being adopted MUST be licensed through the adopter's Town Clerk within 30 days after the adoption date. Dog Licensing is not required at the time of adoption, but a notification will be sent to the adopter's town notifying the Clerk of the adoption. It is the responsibility of the adopter to obtain a dog license and properly attach the tag to the dog's collar. Failure to license an adopted dog is a direct violation of our adoption contract, as well as NY State and Local Dog Control Laws.
- We reserve the right to have our Adoption Committee review and vote on your application with our Shelter Manager prior to the animal being released from the shelter.
- We reserve the right to conduct home visits before and after an adoption to check on the adopted animal to make sure it has adjusted well to its new home, and that it is receiving proper care.
- We reserve the right to remove any adopted animal from its adoptive home if the terms of the final adoption contract have not been met. This includes discovering false information was provided on the adoption application or contract.
- If we have multiple potential adopters for one animal, we hold the right to have the applications reviewed by our Shelter Manager and Adoption Committee. This committee will select which home will be the best match for the animal. We do not follow a "first come, first serve" basis regarding adoptions for an animal that has more than one application.
DOGS AND PUPPIES
Total Adoption Fee for a dog or puppy that we have spayed/neutered: $80 or Less
This total cost includes the following fees:
- $35 Spay/Neuter Fee (to cover our cost of the surgery) ALL dogs will be spayed or neutered prior to adoption, unless there is a health issue that prevents it until a later date. For any dog that has been spayed or neutered prior to them arriving at our facility, we will not charge this fee, and the total adoption fee will reflect this.
- $20 Adoption Fee to cover our cost of distemper and rabies vaccinations, de-worming, flea/tick treatment, and any other medical costs done prior to adoption.
- $25 Microchipping Fee (to cover the cost of the microchip & lifetime registration. ALL animals are microchipped prior to adoption to help identify and reunite lost adopted pets with their owners.
CATS AND KITTENS
Total adoption fee for an Altered cat that we have spayed or neutered: $80 or Less
This cost includes the following fees:
- $35 Spay/Neuter Fee to cover our cost of the surgery. ALL cats will be spayed or neutered prior to adoption, unless there is a health issue that prevents it until a later date. If the cat was spayed or neutered prior to arriving to our facility, we will not charge this fee, and the total adoption fee will reflect this.
- $20 Adoption Fee to cover our cost of distemper and rabies vaccinations, deworming, flea/tick treatment, and any other medical treatments done prior to adoption.
- $25 Microchipping Fee covers the cost of the microchip & lifetime registration. ALL adopted pets are microchipped prior to adoption to help identify and reunite lost adopted pets with their owners.
We Need Volunteers
Our dogs and cats love to be played with, go for walks, and be outside on nice days. We need volunteers to join us in making each little life just a little bit better. Volunteer today!
Sign up for Our Newsletter
Sign up for updates and promotions!